Finding a Teaching Position
Teachers are more successful when they work in a school that is a good fit for them. As a Teaching Fellow, you will be responsible for leading your own job search to ensure that both you and your principal feel good about the match. While our staff will offer resources and guidance, all hiring decisions are ultimately made by principals or other school-based administrators. We do not place Teaching Fellows in a school. Instead, you should expect to conduct an aggressive job search, including attending a day-long site visit and hiring event in Indianapolis in the spring.
Though your job search is your own, you’re not alone, Indianapolis Teaching Fellows staff will help you navigate the district hiring process, showing you how to find vacancies and occasionally coordinating interviews with principals. In addition, our team will host several school hiring events, review resumes, and hold mock interviews for those interested in getting some interview practice.
While admission to Indianapolis Teaching Fellows does not guarantee a teaching position, the need for quality teachers in critical-shortage subjects remains high.
For the past five years, 100 percent of Teaching Fellows who successfully completed training were hired by the start of school.
OUR PARTNER DISTRICTS
This program exists to ensure that all Indianapolis students have access to great teachers, so you will need to be extremely flexible about your teaching assignment.
In recent years, our program has partnered with the following schools and districts:
- Avondale Meadows Academy (United Schools of Indy)
- Avondale Meadows Middle School (United Schools of Indy)
- Charles A. Tindley Accelerated School (Tindley Schools)
- Christel House Academy
- Cold Spring Environmental Study Magnet
- The Excel Center (Goodwill Industries)
- Emma Donnan Elementary School (CSUSA)
- Emma Donnan Middle School (CSUSA)
- Emmerich Manual High School (CSUSA)
- Enlace Academy
- Global Preparatory Academy
- Herron High School
- Ignite Achievement Academy
- Indianapolis Lighthouse Charter School-CPA (Lighthouse Academies)
- Indianapolis Lighthouse Charter School-East (Lighthouse Academies)
- Indianapolis Lighthouse Charter School-South (Lighthouse Academies)
- Indianapolis Metropolitan High School (Indy Met)
- Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS)
- Kindezi Academy
- KIPP Indianapolis (KIPP)
- KIPP Unite (KIPP)
- Paramount School of Excellence Brookside
- Phalen @ Francis Scott Key (103)
- PilotED Elementary School
- Purdue Polytechnic High School
- Riverside High School
- T.C. Howe High School (CSUSA)
- Tindley Accelerated Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Collegiate Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Genesis Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Renaissance Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Prep Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Urban Act
- Vision Academy - Riverside
Indianapolis Public Schools has a strong need for special education educators, so consider the option to serve students who need strong child advocates as you apply.