Finding a Teaching Position
Teachers are more successful when they work in a school that is a good fit for them. As a Teaching Fellow, you will be responsible for leading your own job search to ensure that both you and your principal feel good about the match. While our staff will offer resources and guidance, all hiring decisions are ultimately made by principals or other school-based administrators. We do not place Teaching Fellows in a school. Instead, you should expect to conduct an aggressive job search, including attending a day-long site visit and hiring event in Indianapolis in the spring.
Although this may sound daunting, Indianapolis Teaching Fellows will help you navigate the district hiring process, showing you how to find vacancies and occasionally coordinating interviews with principals. In addition, our team will host several school hiring events, review resumes, and hold mock interviews for those interested in getting some interview practice.
While admission to Indianapolis Teaching Fellows does not guarantee a teaching position, the need for quality teachers in critical-shortage subjects remains high.
For the past three years, 100 percent of Teaching Fellows who successfully completed training were hired by the start of school.
OUR PARTNER DISTRICTS
This program exists to ensure that all Indianapolis students have access to great teachers, so you will need to be extremely flexible about your teaching assignment.
In recent years, our program has partnered with the following schools and districts:
- ACE Preparatory Academy
- Avondale Meadows Academy
- Charles A. Tindley Accelerated School (Tindley Schools)
- Charter Schools USA
- Christel House Academy
- The Excel Center (Goodwill Industries)
- Global Preparatory Academy
- Herron High School
- Indianapolis Lighthouse Charter School (Lighthouse Academies)
- Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS)
- Irvington Preparatory Academy
- Kindezi Academy
- KIPP Indianapolis (KIPP)
- Monument Lighthouse College Preparatory Academy (Lighthouse Academies)
- Paramont School of Excellence
- Tindley Collegiate Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Renaissance Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Tindley Prep Academy (Tindley Schools)
- Vision Academy - Riverside
Indianapolis Public Schools has a strong need for special education educators. All Indianapolis Teaching Fellows assigned to teach special education who successfully complete pre-service training and pass required state exams are guaranteed a full-time teaching position for the 2017-2018 school year.