Indianapolis Teaching Fellows provides an accelerated path into teaching for accomplished professionals and recent graduates. It is specifically designed for people without prior experience as a licensed teacher.
To be considered for our program, you must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (conferred by June 1, 2018) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from a regionally accredited institution; exceptions MAY be granted to candidates with at least a 2.50 GPA plus five years of relevant professional experience, or a graduate degree.
- Meet all legal eligibility requirements to work in the United States.
- Pass a criminal background check, drug test and TB test.
- Meet all Indiana state academic and testing requirements for your subject area. See below.
- Never have held an Indiana-issued Transition to Teaching permit. Indianapolis Teaching Fellows will consider candidates who have completed or enrolled in another alternative certification program, though please note that you will likely be asked to provide a referral from the dean of your previous school explaining why you did not continue in that program.
- Never have held a professional teaching certificate from any state; conditional, emergency, substitute and temporary certificates are acceptable. Candidates with some prior education coursework or an education degree are encouraged to apply.
- Individuals who earned credits from a university outside the U.S. MUST have foreign transcripts evaluated by an approved agency. This process may take a month or more to complete. Learn more.