Baltimore City Teaching Residency provides an accelerated path into teaching for accomplished professionals and recent graduates. It is specifically designed for people without experience as a licensed teacher.
To be considered for our program, applicants must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree (conferred by June 1, 2019) from an accredited institution
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75, or undergraduate and graduate GPA average of 2.75 or higher.
- Meet all legal requirements to work in the United States.
- Meet all Maryland state academic and testing requirements. See below.
- Not have ever completed any other alternative certification program. Baltimore City Teaching Residency will consider candidates who previously started training under another alternative certification program.
- Not currently possess, have ever held, or be eligible for a nonrenewable or professional teaching license from any state. Not ever held a Maryland-issued Resident Teacher certificate.
- Provisional and emergency licenses are acceptable if held in states other than Maryland. Substitute and out of country licenses are acceptable. Candidates with some prior education coursework or an education degree are welcome to apply as long as they are not already eligible for licensure in any state.
- Individuals who earned credits from a university outside the United States MUST have foreign transcripts evaluated by an approved agency. This process may take a month to complete. Learn more.