Resume and Bio Guidance for BCTR
The following information will guide you through the process of updating your resume and creating your biography. Please follow these steps carefully. If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to the opportunity to showcase your skills to principals and Baltimore City Schools administration.
- Use the BCTR Resume Template to create your resume.
- Enter your personal information under the appropriate headings on the Resident Resume Template.
- Keep your resume to one page unless you have extensive relevant experience, in which case it should be two pages maximum.
- Only list your 2-3 most recent positions under the “Relevant Experience” section; list no more than 4 responsibilities for each position.
- Proofread your resume carefully! Many principals will automatically reject candidates with typos in their resumes.
- Your email address should be professional and include your name. Also, please be sure to create a professional voicemail greeting on your phone.
- Include relevant volunteer experience under the “Additional Experience” section. If you do not have any volunteer experience, you may include any additional professional experience.
- You may include a “Professional Skills” section, but be sure to identify your skills that are most transferable to teaching. This may include skills such as training, mentoring, an experience that relates directly to your content area, or leadership positions you have held.
- If possible, include one specific accomplishment for each position listed under "Relevant Experience". Highlighting at least one concrete achievement will allow you to introduce varied skills and expand on your abilities during an interview.
A Note about Education
- List graduate and undergraduate institutions in reverse chronological order.
- Do not include your GPA unless you are recent graduate and it exceeds 3.5.
- It is not advisable to include standardized test scores on your resume.
- Only list undergraduate clubs, affiliations, or activities if you are a recent graduate and/or if they emphasize leadership roles or relate to your assigned subject area.