During this 25-minute phone call, you will answer questions about your beliefs about effective teaching. You will also respond to classroom scenarios that are representative of the challenges that new teachers may face in a high-need school. And you will do a teaching role-play where you’ll practice and get feedback, just as our Fellows do on a daily basis during training.
One or Two Days Before the Interview
- Read the “What to Do” excerpt from Teach Like a Champion 2.0. It focuses on “What to Do,” one of the teaching techniques Fellows learn, practice, and refine during the summer. To help you understand what a practice session might feel like during training your Interviewer will ask you to practice using this technique during the interview, so it is essential that you are familiar with the first two sections in this passage.
- Read the Effective Teaching Brief. Teaching is an honor and a tremendous responsibility, which is why we hold the highest standards of any teacher preparation program. To help you better understand this context, the Effective Teaching Brief explains how great teachers transform students' lives, especially in high-need schools.
The Day of the Interview
- Check your time zone. Remember that all interview sign-up times reflect Eastern Time.
- Test the Logistics. Prior to your interview, choose a quiet location where you will not be distracted. Ensure you have reliable reception in that location. You should also fully charge your phone’s battery.
- Have a pen and paper available. This will enable you to take notes on the information that is shared and the questions you are asked during your interview.
Following these steps will help to ensure your interview goes smoothly. As a reminder, if you need to reschedule your interview, you must do so at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled time. If something out of your control happens last minute and you are unable to connect with your Interviewer during the scheduled time, please let us know immediately by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide you with next steps appropriate to the situation.
Within three weeks of your interview, you will be notified of your offer status.
Watch How to Ace your Phone Interview with Krista Pfeiffer.