FAQ | TNTP AmeriCorps Program
What is AmeriCorps?
The national AmeriCorps is a national network of service programs that connects more than 100,000 Americans each year to serve our country’s most critical needs in areas including environmental issues, disaster relief and education. This program is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
What is TNTP AmeriCorps?
The TNTP AmeriCorps program is part of the national AmeriCorps network. It is an extension of your Teaching Fellows program experience. For Fellows that apply and meet eligibility requirements for AmeriCorps acceptance, upon successfully completing the first year of teaching in a high-need school, they will be eligible for several financial benefits:
- An Education Award of approximately $5,920. The Education Award cannot be applied towards TNTP Academy tuition and fees, but it can be used for repayment of federal student loans and/or for future educational costs at schools that accept federal financial aid. Please note that participation in AmeriCorps is dependent on federal funding and the award size is subject to change annually.
- Postponing repayment of federal student loans. As an AmeriCorps member, you may be eligible to pause repayment of any outstanding federal student loans. That means you would not have to make any federal student loan payments during your year of service, and after successfully completing the year, AmeriCorps would repay any interest accrued during that time.
In addition to these financial benefits, AmeriCorps members receive special training that prepares them to incorporate service learning and volunteerism into their teaching, including opportunities to participate in special activities such as AmeriCorps Week and the Martin Luther King Day of Service in their local communities.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- You must be accepted into one of the following Teaching Fellows Programs:
Baltimore City Teaching Residency
Indianapolis Teaching Fellows
Nevada Teacher Corps
- You must be able to submit proof of U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent residency.
- You must have not already received two full-time Education Awards through another AmeriCorps program, which is the maximum number an individual can earn.
- You must attend the mandatory one-hour information session at Pre-Service Training (Dates and times TBD).
- You must submit all required documents by the stated deadlines. These documents include but are not limited to: criminal background checks, enrollment forms, valid ID, and member agreement.
- You must also pass Pre-Service Training and be hired as a full-time teacher before the AmeriCorps deadline (Date TBD). Fellows in long-term substitute positions are prohibited from enrolling in AmeriCorps.
*Due to the size of the program, AmeriCorps participation is on a first come, first serve basis.
How do I sign up?
During Pre-Service Training, you will be invited to participate in a mandatory AmeriCorps information session. At this time, you will receive a comprehensive overview of the program and its benefits and you will also receive instructions on how to apply for the program.
If you have questions before Pre-Service Training, you can watch the TNTP AmeriCorps Information Session.
How can I be sure I will be accepted and receive the award?
Across all programs, there are 800 available slots to participate in AmeriCorps. Participation is on a first come, first serve basis once the application process begins during Pre-Service Training. In 2018, of Fellows who met all of the eligibility requirements, 97% were accepted into the TNTP AmeriCorps Program before slots were full.
In 2018, of Fellows who completed the school year and met all the AmeriCorps requirements for participation, 99% received the Education Award.
Once I am accepted into the program, what am I required to do?
There are few requirements for participation in the TNTP AmeriCorps Program. Overall, it takes about 5-10 hours of your time from the start of the application until the end of the school year to complete the additional requirements. The TNTP AmeriCorps program will review these requirements at Pre-Service Training and they will be outlined in the member agreement you will be asked to sign before you start the program. The most major requirements include:
- Attend a one-hour orientation and training webinar in the Fall
- Complete three short surveys
- Receive two evaluations during the middle and end of the school year from your TNTP-affiliated program staff.
- Complete a service-learning program or classroom discussion with all of your students.
- Complete the school year as a full-time teacher and as an active participant in the Teaching Fellows Program
When will I receive the Education Award?
Once you’ve been officially exited from the program (approximately one month after your last day of school), you will have access to the Education Award within 4-6 weeks.