teachNOLA provides an accelerated path into teaching for accomplished professionals and recent graduates. It is specifically designed for people without prior experience as a licensed teacher.
To be considered for the program, you must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (conferred by June 1, 2018) with at least a 2.50 GPA from an accredited institution
- Meet all legal requirements to work in the United States.
- Pass a criminal background check and drug test before the start of school.
- Meet all Louisiana academic and testing requirements. See below.
- Not possess, or have ever held, a professional teaching license from any state; substitute, emergency, conditional or temporary certificates are acceptable.
- Not possess an education degree that would make you eligible for certification.
teachNOLA will consider candidates who are currently enrolled in, or who previously started – but did not complete – another alternative certification program so long as it was outside the state of Louisiana.
Individuals who earned credits from a university outside the United States MUST have foreign transcripts evaluated by an approved agency. This process may take a month to complete. Learn more.
In addition to these requirements, we will review your application carefully to ensure that you have the right academic expertise to teach one of the critical-need subjects listed below. Recruiting teachers exclusively for high-demand subjects allows us to provide schools with the teachers they need most and also makes it easier for you to secure a job.
The following table outlines required exams by subject area:
Biology (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Chemistry (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Early Childhood Education (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Elementary Education (CLOSED FOR 2018)
ELA Grades 6-12 (CLOSED FOR 2018)
ELA Grades 4-8 (CLOSED FOR 2018)
General Science (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Mathematics - Grades 6-12 (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Mathematics - Grades 4-8 (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Science - Grades 4-8 (CLOSED FOR 2018)
Special Education (CLOSED FOR 2018)
For more information about available subjects and requirements, visit the Applicant Toolkit. We will provide more detailed guidance about testing deadlines and requirements upon admission to our program. Once admitted, we encourage you to register as early as possible because testing dates are limited and some candidates require multiple attempts to earn a passing score.
NOTE: Eligibility and academic requirements are established by the Louisiana Department of Education and are therefore non-negotiable and subject to change.